That’s the thing I need to give me new heart.
Happy New Year!
Normally, I imagine regular “bloggers” would list here their resolutions or plans for 2011.
I will be doing no such thing.
I used to make resolutions. I would make a neat little list of things I was determined to do in the new year. Almost every single year “lose weight” would be included.
In fact, let’s review some of my past resolutions and see how those worked out for me.
1. BE HAPPY – find the good in everything; always look on the bright side; laugh at myself; laugh; smile even when the sun is gone; dont dwell on the negative; dont drown in self-pity
2. LOSE WEIGHT – the right way this time…
3. GET/STAY IN SHAPE – this kinda goes with number 2… and being in the musical means twice as much dancing as i used to do, so that should help matters; excercise every night; eat better (note BETTER not LESS)
4. REACH GOALS – honor roll every quarter; permit; liscense; GET A JOB; make new friends; keep old friends
1. No More Procrastinating(aka waiting til the last minute to do homework)
2. No More Slacking (aka being online while doing homework)
^These too also combine to form 2.5 GET GOOD GRADES^
3. Grow as a person (aka don’t be a snob anymore)
4. Get/Stay in Shape (aka diet and exercise)
5. DRIVE (aka actually get behind the wheel and go somewhere by myself)
New Years Resolutions:
~Go to all classes, only missing occasionally for emergencies or special occasions not just because i didnt feel like going
~Get in shape/start going to the gym regularly
~Get good grades (aka actually attempt all homework)
~Join a club (preferably a theatre group) at school
~BE HAPPY!! (shouldn’t be too hard since my life ROCKS right now 😀 hehe)
Okay, here are my issues with these resolutions.
1. If you have to put the same thing on your resolution list year after year, clearly you’re not doing something right. I would “work out and stay in shape” for about a month and then give up. Useless.
2. I was, am, and always will be a procrastinator.
3. I was never a snob. I don’t even know what I was talking about. Also, I skipped many more classes and I never joined a theater group in college.
4. Some of these things are just things you should always do in life. Be happy? Make new friends? These are things that should just happen in life. You shouldn’t have to resolve to do them.
Resolutions are a horrible plan because you say you’re going to do all these great things, but your motivation to do them lasts approximately until January 2nd. It’s setting yourself up for failure.
And I hate failing.
So a few years ago I heard a song and knew what I had to do. The song is kind of about birthdays, possibly about New Year’s, but my birthday is January 9th, so it’s close enough either way.
Jimmy Buffett’s deep, warm voice and Martina McBride’s clear, beautiful voice joined forces to share words that just made sense to me:
“Yes, I’ll make a resolution that I’ll never make another one. Just enjoy this ride on my trip around the sun.”
So that’s what I do. I enjoy the ride. Every year, the New Year is like a clean slate. Throw away anything negative I’ve been holding onto and see it as a chance for new opportunities.
Bring it, 2011. I’m ready for you.