Bucket List

Yesterday, a coworker asked me what was on my bucket list.

I hit “reply” and typed, “So many things. Like,”

Then I stared at that menacing little blinking curser and tried to think of everything – anything – that I wanted to do before I die. I think of things I want to do someday all the time. Why can’t I think of a single one now?

Then they all came flooding to me at once.

I want to travel. I want to visit all 50 states and all 7 continents (Okay, maybe only six. I don’t actually have much of an interest in going to Antarctica, to be quite honest.).  I want to take a cross-country road trip.  I want to learn Sign Language.  I want to sponsor a child. I want to learn how to ride a bike (shut up). I want to be a parent. I want to write a book.

There’s just so much.

I mean, I’ve visited a decent number of states. So I have at least 1/5 of that complete. I’ve been to three continents (including the one I live on – yes, that so counts) so that’s half of that list if you don’t count the useless one where no one except maybe Santa ever goes.

Learning sign language might be more challenging, now that I’m not in school anymore. But not impossible.

Writing a book might be impossible, or at least getting one published.

Worst case scenario I could just gather a bunch of these posts together and call it like The Innermost Thoughts of A Random Girl You Probably Care Nothing About.  But I have ideas for a children’s book in mind. Just got to get my hands on an artist. And a publisher. And that notebook where I wrote that first draft…

I’m sure there are other things on my bucket list. Now that I’ve tried snowboarding, I wouldn’t hate trying surfing once. Probably only once because I have a feeling falling in the ocean is a lot less fun than falling in snow.

I’d like to walk the length of Manhattan. Go to the Central Park Zoo. Go to the Natural History Museum. These are all things that are easily accessible to me. I just haven’t gotten around to them yet.

There are just so many things I want to do. I feel fortunate enough that I never feel totally bored. Yes, there are some weekends that I spend from Friday from 8pm until Monday at 8am in my bed, excepting mealtimes, but that is most certainly not every weekend. In fact, that is rarely ever two weekends in a row.  Most weekends (hell, even weekdays), I’m out with my coworkers and/or friends causing some kind of mischief.  I rarely, if ever, pass up an adventure of any sort.

I suppose it’s partially thanks to my FoMO disorder. But also partly because I realize that I am twenty four years old. I will not always be able to shrug and say, “why the hell not” when a coworker asks me if I want to go shopping and/or grab drinks after work. Someday, I might have a family to attend to. I might have to say, “Let me check with _____” or “Oh, I can’t. It’s my turn to stay home with _____”.  I know that I will have a family someday. I am a codependent person – I need interpersonal interaction to survive – so I know that I will have a family someday.  Therefore, someday, my decisions will be based on the needs of others.  So, for now? While my decisions are 100% my own? I’m going to say yes 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time? I’m going to enjoy being on my own.

What’s on your bucket list?

So far, I’ve been able to make all of my dreams come true based on sheer determination and reckless abandon.  I hope I never lose my sense of wonder. I hope I never lose these qualities and that my wishes keep coming true.

Advertisements

~ by Valerie Anne on 03/02/2011.

2 Responses to “Bucket List”

  1. Oooo ooo ooo come visit me and we can learn to surf together then I’ll come visit you and we can walk the length of Manhattan together!!! DO ITTTT!

    Or I am trying kiteboarding soonish if that looks like fun to you.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: